Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Off The Backboard

 This will be a basketball blog for the die-hard NBA fans who have actual knowledge of the game and are passionate about the sport year round. I will try to update the blog 3-4 times a week and provide some analysis on games that I found particularly interesting. For a point of reference, my writing style will be somewhat like that of Bill Simmons so it might take some time to get used to, but hopefully it is enjoyable. Reader feedback is always welcome, so please drop a comment or leave some criticism if that's what is necessary to improve my writing.

I try to be as impartial and unbiased as possible when I write and analyze the league, but a couple of themes should reoccur throughout my writings:

  • Kobe Bryant is my favorite player - though I can be quite critical of him when he goes into Black Mamba mode. I am not one of those fans who will constantly praise him at all times, and will likely criticize him more as he gets older and his game declines, but his mentality remains the same.
  • I think Lebron James is slightly -  if not grossly - overrated. While I do think he is a once-in-a-generation talent, I believe that his game is still flawed in a lot of ways, and given the talent that surrounds him now, he should never be in contention for the MVP award. But that is a topic for another day, which I will of course cover.
  • Steve Nash should not have won back-to-back MVPs.
  • Shaq should have more than one MVP.
  • Tim Duncan is one of the most underrated players of all time.
  • Dennis Rodman should be in the HOF.
  • Though I live in Toronto, I haven't consistently cheered for the Raptors actively since Vince left, since management has screwed up in the draft almost every year. I don't know what that makes me, but I can't rally behind a management that consistently fails to deliver. If the Raptors get someone that is a talent good enough to build around (Bosh was not), I'll be rooting for them more.
  • People forget how good Vince Carter and Tracy Mcgrady once were. I think T-Mac's decision to leave Toronto was one of the most profound decisions in the 2000s NBA and would have drastically changed the trajectory of the Eastern conference.
  • Of the new generation of superstars, I think Derrick Rose will be one of the greatest PGs of all time.
  • My favorite NBA writers are Charley Rosen and Bill Simmons

Since I am just starting out with this blog, there will obviously be a period of adjustment where the blog might go through some changes, both aesthetically and in terms of how I write. Regardless, I will try to make sure it doesn't affect the quality of my work. But if you like the posts and enjoy reading the analysis, then feel free to share the links and inspire me to write some more.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment